ABOUT THE FERNLEY REPUBLICAN WOMEN
Our club functions under the direction of the Board of Directors, consisting of elected and appointed officers, along with each of the committee chairs. See chart below:
2020 Elected Officers
President - Anita Trone
1st Vice President - Vida Keller
2nd Vice President - Nancy Donohue
Secretary - Sue Knodell
Treasurer - Peggy Gray
2020 Appointed Officers
Chaplain - Betty Mayne
2020 Committee Chairs
Achievement - Vida Keller
Americanism - Judy Williams
Armed Forces/Homeland Security - Betty Mayne
Audit - Nancy Donohue
Budget - Carol Franich
Bylaws - Peggy Gray
Campaign - Peggy Gray
Caring for America - Betty Mayne
Fourth of July -
Hospitality - Betty Mayne
Legislation - Peggy Gray
Literacy - Joy Hidek
Membership - Nancy Donohue
Newsletter - Anita Trone
Nominations - Peggy Gray
Scholarship - Susan Knodell
Ways and Means - Judy Williams
*Garage Sale (Subcomittee) - Judy Williams
*Opportunity Drawing (Subcommittee) - Betty Mayne
Website/Facebook - Julianne Colombe
The following is a summary of some of our recent programs and activities.
Achievement: Our club is a member of the Nevada Federation of Republican Women (NFRW). Every two years, the NFRW gives awards to clubs for their accomplishments. In 2008-2009, the Fernley Republican Women received the Silver Award. In 2010-2011 and 2012-2013 we won Gold Awards. In 2014-2014, we were proud to win a Diamond Award.
Americanism: At each meeting, after the Pledge of Allegiance, there is an inspirational reading on respect for the history of America and the American Flag. We participate in the Liberty Day Constitution Program, providing pocket Constitutions to each fifth grader in Fernley and Silver Springs.
Campaign: During election years, the FRW hosts candidates for city, county and state offices and speakers on ballot initiatives. In non-election years, we concentrate on the issues at the Nevada Legislature.
Caring for America: The Fernley Republican Women are proud over the numerous community service projects we coordinate for the Fernley area.
- "Adopt-a-Soldier" Programs: The soldiers need single serving food items, personal care items and, most especially, cards and letters from home.
- Veterans Programs: We make visits to the VA hospital, volunteer at the Veterans Cemetery putting flags on the graves and participate in Wreaths Across America. The co-chairs are liaisons between the FRW and the NNVC, attend their meetings and attend the Unaccompanied Soldier Funeral Service on the fourth Thursday of each month.
- Fernley Food Bank Program: Our club collects non-perishable foods for the Fernley Food Bank.
Fourth of July: For many years, we have entered a float in the Fernley 4th of July parade. In all years, except one, we placed 1st in the political category.
- We choose a book from the National Federation of Republican Women approved list and presents it to the Cottonwood Elementary School libraries each year.
- The dictionary project provides dictionaries to all the kids entering third grade at the Cottonwood Elementary School at the beginning of the school year.
- We collect new children's books for the Bow Wow Books program at the Fernley Library; this program gives children in our community the opportunity to improve their reading skills by reading to a certified therapy dog and take home a book to keep once a month. Any and all contributions are greatly appreciated!
Newsletter: The editor of our newsletter, The Right Side of Fernley, produces a minimum of four editions each year. Our club has received many compliments on the content and quality of our newsletters. They are posted on our website, so please check them out and let us know if you would like to advertise or be added to the subscription list.
Scholarship: Each year we offer a $500 college scholarship to a young woman accepted to or currently enrolled in an accredited school of higher education.
Ways and Means: We are always looking for innovative ideas to raise funds with which to finance our activities. In pursuit of that objective, we have an annual yard sale and participate in other fundraising events.
Website/Facebook: Our Facebook page was established in 2009 and our website in early 2010, with the goal of making our program readily accessible and keeping our methods of communication modern and current.
Woman of the Year: Each year, our club nominates candidates who have made a significant contribution of time to FRW and the Republican Party, or who have done something specific that merits consideration for the award. To date, Woman of the Year award recipients are:
Carol Franich - 2016
Julianne Soldavini-Colombe - 2014
Betty Mayne - 2013
Shirley Chandler - 2012
Connie Stevens - 2011
Cindy O'Toole - 2010
Jane Lewis – 2009
Anita Trone – 2008
Peggy Gray – 2007
Our Goal is to do everything we can to assure that qualified Republican candidates are elected to all levels of government.
We welcome you to partner with the Fernley Republican Women in achieving that goal.